Sunday, August 23, 2009

If There's Complications, Pull the Plug Out

Top 10 lists. Bless their souls. I swear, I see so many of them that are just thrown together. So before I made one(and trust me, I wanted to), I wanted to think about it. So, I've just been listening to music, and thinking about it.

25 albums later, I was, well, sorta ready. I suppose, it was more than 25 albums. But that's what I narrowed it down to. So I present to you, in no order other than alphabetical, my top 25 albums of all time:

Anberlin - Never Take Friendship Personal
As Cities Burn - Come Now Sleep
Beloved - Failure On
The Classic Crime - Albatross
Deas Vail - All The Houses Look the Same
Dead Poetic - New Medicines
Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
The Devil Wears Prada - With Roots Above and Branches Below
Emery - In Shallow Seas We Sail
Falling Up - Captiva
Far-Less - A Toast to Bad Taste
Jon Reuben - The Boy Vs. The Cynic
Kids in the Way - Safe From the Losing Fight
Lights - Lights EP
Life in Your Way - Waking Giants
Mae - The Everglow
mewithoutYou - Brother, Sister
Owl City - Maybe I'm Dreaming
Paulson - All At Once
Relient K - Five Score and Seven Years Ago
The Rocket Summer - Do You Feels
Seabird - 'Til We See the Shore
Thousand Foot Krutch - Phenomenon
UnderOath - Lost in the Sound of Separation
The Wedding - Polarity

Then came the hard part? Which would be my top 10? In what order? Better yet, why? Well, let's get started.

10. Death Cab for Cutie: Transatlanticism


So, this is an odd entry, considering that about a year ago, I hated Death Cab. Then Narrow Stairs came out, and I rather enjoyed the single "I Will Possess Your Heart". So I gave the album a chance, and loved it. From there, I got Transatlanticism and Plans, and was set. I still haven't heard the others, but man, Transatlanticism.... Simpler songs like the title track, more upbeat songs like "Title and Registration", downtempo songs like "Passenger Seat", and the simple acoustic track "A Lack of Color" are great.

Recommended Tracks: Transatlanticism, Passenger Seat

9. Dead Poetic: New Medicines


I'll admit, way back in high school, I had no idea what I was getting into with this album. I didn't really do music before that. I was used to the occasional pop/rock hit, and country music. I was recommended a bunch of albums, and honestly, I just picked one. This was the result. Popping it in, I was greeted with "Taste the Red Hands", and BAM. My first taste of truly aggressive music. But not that typical I'm-so-freakin'-ticked-off-at-everyone kinda angry, but rather, the why-are-you-going-down-this-path aggressive. The stop-being-so-lazy-and-make-a-difference aggressive. Whether it was Vanus Empty's screams to end shallow judging, or Bury The Difference's call for an end to mindless, groundless judgments, or even the call to end mindless action, and to move and do things whole hearted. I admit, I wasn't ready for someone to cut off the filter and say what needed to be said. It was the first time I started to listen to what bands were saying. And I liked it.

Recommended Tracks: Vanus Empty, Modern Morbid Prophecies

8. Falling Up: Captiva


Falling Up started on the whole "Rapcore" deal, but by the second album, they were transitioning. There was still rap vocals, but it was now over more atmospheric rock anthems. No more DJs, just atmospheric rapcore. And by Captiva, they had nearly abandoned the rap, and kept layering on the atmosphere. I don't joke when I say that this was the album that most made me want to start keyboarding. From the more upbeat Goodnight Gravity, the slower Arc to the Achilles, and the epic The Dark Side of Indoor Track Meets, I was hooked. The aforementioned track, Indoor Track Meets, is still a top track in my book. I still remember being amazed at the bridge, with that key shift that changed the entire mood of the song into this deep, dark feeling, matching the lyrics, before another key change into a much more hopeful mood for the end. I still need to learn that song....

Recommended Tracks: How They Made Cameras, The Dark Side of Indoor Track Meets

7. Relient K: Five Score and Seven Years Ago



Ah, good 'ole faithful Relient K. I think my initial draw to them was that they were one of the few bands that not only became quite popular(even signing to a major label and STAYING on the major label), but kept their faith a priority. Yes, any doubt that I had that they would water it down was erased by favorite Relient K track yet, Deathbed. From silly songs to serious songs, aggressive to passive, it was all there, balanced, and ready to go. From "Fallen Man" to "Faking My Own Suicide", Relient K demonstrated that they weren't going anywhere fast. Then, of course, there's one of my favorite love songs ever, "Must Have Done Something Right". And to epically end with the 11 minute epic of layer upon layer of track after track, all without sounding crowded, and use it to tell the ultimate story of failure and redemption, and, well, its just not easy to do. And they did it.

Recommended Tracks: Must Have Done Something Right, Deathbed

6. Beloved: Failure On


Well, let's throw a little aggression back in the mix, shall we? Beloved was a post-hardcore band from my neck of the woods. I was highly recommended them, but with the slew of new music that was coming out at the time, I only had enough time to give it a quick spin, and not to really listen to it. Big mistakes. I passed it over as "decent", but nothing special. Hah! Hah! Yeah, right. Finally, I randomly listed to it again, and this time, LISTENED to it, and was blown away. Suddenly, the stand out track, "Death to Traitors" was equal to so many other tracks. "Defect From Decay" followed soon after, "Inner Pattern" and "Aimless Endeavor", and the hopeful, yet aggressive closer, "Insult to Injury" Despite being 6 years old, being around for much longer than I've been into music, I still play that record, and still love it just as much. "But rest assured, we will fight for you".

Recommended tracks: Defect From Decay, Insult to Injury

And with that, we've completed the first half! Now, let's continue!

At a later date.... Its bed time....

No comments:

Post a Comment