Tuesday, October 6, 2009

You're Not the Last Thing That I've Loved and Lost

And let's finish this. I've got a lot more to write about. Specifically, the new Relient K and David Crowder*Band albums, and some future concerts. Either way, let's finish this up. No images this time, 'cause I'm sleepy, and images keep failing.

5. As Cities Burn - Come Now Sleep

Never before in the history of music has one band undergone such a stylistic change between albums. Showbread's change from "No Sir, Nihilism is Not Practical"s Screamo to "Age of Reptiles" Synth Rock was a pretty big change, but I think that As Cities Burn's change was a little bit bigger. First, we had "Son, I Loved You at Your Darkest Time", featuring dual vocalist and brothers, altering between Screams and Clean vocals, shouting memorable lines such as "What is love without trust? At my big, would you bring your Isaac?". Now, suddenly, the opening track eases in. 7 minutes later, after hearing a man question the existence of God, we here a new person come in, pointing out that a man's pride has caused him to doubt God. That God has been there, but the man's pride has pushed him away. No screams, just ambient rock. From there, we transition into typical As Cities Burn riffs and progression(still unique to this day), as we hear about overcoming pride and stereotypes, the need for grace, and the incompetence of humans(but success through Christ). By the ending tracks, we're left agreeing with the singer. "If I make it to heaven, I may be as bloody as Hell". "I'm sure if you wanted to stop love, you could just untie your end and let it go. But my God, you don't. Yeah, I think I love your for it." When the last minutes of "Timothy" end, we're left wanting more. Sure, gone is the abrasive rock and the screaming, but the ambiance that has replaced it more than makes up for it. In the end, even with only one vocalist, this albums is amazing. "This is it, this is it. You're gonna sink for your sins, unless grace be the wind."

Tracks to check: Empire, Wrong Body, Our World is Gray, This is It.

They're not too bad live either.

4. Deas Vail - All the Houses Look the Same

Have you ever gone down into a neighborhood, looked at the homes, and realized, "Wow, all these houses look the same!". Yeah, I have. Putting that aside, AtHLtS is the debut, if you will, album by Deas Vail, an indie rock band from Arkansas. Wes, the vocalist, knows how to hit his falsettos, and when to use them. Trust me, its not easy to consistently switch from falsetto to normal and back, but he does it. Keys are abundant, both piano and synth, but never in a poppy way. Much of the music is atmospheric and dreamy. From the opening, with its simple chords, to the lightly floating pianos in "Shoreline", or the soaring vocals in every song. It doesn't matter. Its consistently good throughout. Honestly, I can't exactly go into detail about why I like this album so much. I just do. It has consistently received plays on the iPod, years later. The White Lights EP was just as good, and with "Birds and Cages" being released this month, I'm excited. The live show is spectacular, and if the new songs they've played mean anything, then "Birds and Cages" could surpass "All the Houses Look the Same".

Tracks to Check: Shoreline, Lover's Charm, Anything You Say, Life in These Little Boats.

3. Paulson - All at Once

Paulson was interesting in that I'd never actually heard of them until I went to go see As Cities Burn live with my buddy Justin. Coincidentally, my roommate at the time, Nathan, mentioned that he liked Paulson. They ended up being spectacular live, even though I only managed to listen to one song by the time the concert came around. Either way, I started listening to the CD, and immediately, I was hooked on "Calling On You". Hooked enough that I consistently listened to that track. It was only when I accidentally left the CD on that I next hear track 4, Window Frames. I randomly decided to play the first two tracks as well, and loved them, and so, I started listening to the first four. On repeat. Eventually, I managed to expand into the full album. Honestly, I liked the tracks enough to where I had trouble listening to the new tracks. Seriously. Paulson is, at its core, electronic pop. But, oddly enough, it doesn't sound like typical electro pop. Its not about sugary things, despite heavy synth use. Its a full band with pop-rock music, but with definite emo tendencies. Not "Slit your wrists with me because my girlfriend broke up with me at a Dashboard Confessional Show" emo, but rather, real emotion. Breaking up, moving on, insecurity, need, all of it, wrapped up in synths, guitars, bass, drums, and vocals that sound real. The words aren't necessarily sung, nor are they spoken like mewithoutYou, but rather, somewhere in between. It works. Its electronica rock with real emotion and doubt, not, "Everything is perfect". Although, um, I admit, I love that junk. Either way.

Tracks to listen to: Voids, Window Frames, Break Me In, What Are You?

2. Emery - In Shallow Seas We Sail

I've been a fan of Emery back since the days of "The Question", and "The Weak's End" was brilliant. Then came "I'm Only a Man" and "When Broken Heart's Prevail". Emery is basically a post-hardcore/screamo/punk band with two vocalists(three live) who trade off singing and playing bass, and even singing at the same time. The dual vocals really shine. I was convinced that nothing would be able to outdo gems such as "Walls" and "Ponytail Parades" from TWE or "So Cold I Could See My Breath" and "Listening to Freddy Mercury", from TQ, but then came In Shallow Seas We Sail. Cutthroat Collapse opens with the same intensity as "Walls", and dual vocals shine. This album is straight perfect throughout. Honestly, I'd write more, but I've already wrote a review of it. Go check it to see, and keep watchin' for the "Butcher's Mouth" video. BTdub, "In Shallow Seas We Sail" is both their best album, and best track.

Tracks to Listen to: Cutthroat Collapse, The Butcher's Mouth, In Shallow Seas We Sail, Dear Death pt 1 and 2.

1. Owl City - Maybe I'm Dreaming.

Somewhere in the world (aka, downtown), my friend Jefe just made that typical awkward noise that we both make. I won't go into it, but its made whenever I mention Owl City(and is usually followed up by "Strawberry Avalanche"!). Either way. I had a tough time choosing between this and "Ocean Eyes", but in the end, Maybe I'm Dreaming edged it out. Both have their charms, but in the end, MID wins. Check out my full review for why I love it so much.

Random side fact: My favorite Owl City track, "Hot Air Balloon", isn't on any album. Single only.

Tracks to check: Rainbow Veins, The Saltwater Room, Dear Vienna, West Coast Friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment