Tuesday, August 11, 2009

We Could Fall Between These Lines if You Would Work With Me

So, I forgot my login stuffs. Hence why there has been no update. Now there is!

So, rather than reviewing CDs, I'm gonna review a few shows I've been in. Let's get started!

Deas Vail/Abel @ The Lampstand

This, was a pleasant show, if I do say so myself. I went for one purpose only, and that was to see Deas Vail.

The show opened up with a local band, Peter's Shadow. They put on a decent show, I guess. The music was okay, but there was absolutely no energy from the band, which was odd. The music was pretty energetic. They, with the exception of the singer, were stiff. Lame. Oddly enough, the singer was sick.... Either way, I'd give them another chance, but I really can't recommend seeing them live. The music was okay though.

Music: 7
Live Show: 3

The Forever Endeavor was next up. I was a bit cautious though. The lead shinger was wearing purple girl pants.... I was a bit scared, but then, they hauled four keyboards(2 M-Audio MIDI-Controllers, 1 Yamaha Digital Piano, and 1 Korg MicroKorg Synth), and I was interested. The set was basically rather happy electronica music with a few guitar parts, and overall, I was rather impressed, aside from the intense use of auto-tune. The energy was matched by the lead singer, who would often move around and even dance a bit on stage, and even convinced some others to dance too.

Music: 8(Sorry, too much auto-tune)
Live Show: 8

Keegan was 3rd, and I had no idea what to expect. What we got was only four songs, but four intense, epic, atmospheric, WIN. There were very few vocals, but dag, the guitarist could sing. The other guitarist, the lead guitarist, was able to both tap-play his electric and play left handed piano chords AT THE SAME Time. Not only were they skilled, they were awesome. They didn't move much, but they just exerted an unmatched energy that night. They were into, but were calm at the calm parts. Dang near perfect.

Music: 9
Live Show: 9

Next up was Abel, one of the 2 headliners. They were a rather "As Cities Burn"-esque band, with some crazy good lyrics, and nice, personal stuff in between songs. Had I know the lyrics, I would have sung along, no doubt. Catchy, post-rock stuff. I admittedly wanted them to continue playing. Still, it ended with the lead singer singing "I'm not like Christ at all" as he prayerfully expressed his desire to improve.

Music: 9
Live Show: 9

Deas Vail was the last, and most anticipated for me. I'd seen them randomly before, and definitely loved them, and wanted to see what they'd do headlining. They played a couple old songs (Shoreline, Rewind, Undercover), and two new songs, before ending with a very passionate, very intense version of "Follow Sound", ending with the Bassist literally playing in the crowd. We eventually convinced them to come back and play one last song, and the set ended with "White Lights". They were honestly surprised that we wanted an encore, but it was well deserved. Totally awesome show.

Music: 10
Live Show: 10.

I'll write up a couple more reviews. Still gotta do the Relient K/Owl City/Rookie of the Year/Deas Vail show and the Embracing Goodbye show.

Until then, music updates. I finally got a gig bag for my Keyboard, and will be playing in the Praise band on the first CCF. I also ordered some new Instrument Cables(neon green for the win!) and some cable ties, and will be ordering my new Keyboard in about a week. Awesome! I think I'll name it Ashley.... Maybe Kori or Sylvia. Either way, its a 61 Key Korg X50 with Dual Polyphonic Arpaegiators. Um, heck yes? Yes, heck yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment