Saturday, March 28, 2009

Obligatory Opening Post

"Boys speak in rhythm, and girls in chords" - Anberlin

So yes, blogs. I've debated doing this for a while now, mostly because sometimes I get the urge to write about music. Sometimes, music that I've listened to, sometimes music that I've written. Sometimes music in terms of theory, sometimes in a general sense. And on rare occasions, there's that whole non-related music post that pops up, and I forget. I plan on writing all of these things here. But first, some important info.

1) I am, in no way, a writer. So please, don't expect intricately designed blog posts. Nor should you expect good grammar. Mine isn't horrible, but I'm not concerned with it. You should, however, expect me rambling about music that I find amazing(and sometimes that I'm horribly disappointed about), and lots and lots of commas.

2) I don't just cover one type of music. Heck, if you were to classify music with a Linnean system of classification, I would cover more than a single kingdom of music. I tend to listen to just about every style of music, whether it be metalcore, piano pop, techno, or bands that don't neatly fall into one category or another. What you can assume, however, is that the music that I cover will be contain, for the most part, positive messages. At worst, it'll be mildly sad or pessimistic, but never negative. No horribly depressing music that puts you in a bad mood, and most certainly no music about suicide and killing people.

3) In case the whole thing about Linnean classification didn't tell you, I'm a science major. Marine Biology, to be exact. So ocassionally, you may find something obscure related to the subject. Most likely related to jellies(not jellyfish!) or some odd species of fishes. Somehow, they just slip in sometimes.

4) Most importantly, I love me some Jesus. I would go so far as to say that the overwhelming majority of my music is Christian. I truely believe that some of the most amazing music that is made is made to glorify God, worship God, spread the Gospel to others, present hope in Christ, or provide introspective in a Godly way. This, of course, can cause a little controversy with some of my classmates(or as they prefer to be called, collegues), as we don't always see eye to eye. But that doesn't matter. They're still pretty cool people.

So there ya go. I know present you with "Speaking in Rhythm." The title is inspired by the song "Foreign Language" off of Anberlin's first album, "Blueprints for the Black Market." I always liked the concept of boy's speaking in rhythm, and girls in chords. Too bad, though, that for the longest time, I was wrong. Turns out, the lyrics are "Boys speak in rhythm, and girls in code." Sorry, not as cool. Doesn't matter. I still sing "and girls in chords."

Finally, I should point out my musical orientation. By that, I mean my instrument of choice. My first love was the drums. And I still drum implusively to this day. However, I now "shred" with a Casio WK-3300 keyboard, decked out with lime green grip tape. And a stuffed jelly that I have christened "June" on the "control panel" if you can call it that. I plan on getting a synth over the summer, as Cassy(my keyboard) has limited synth options. She'll be delegated to digital piano mode. And hopefully, a sweet midi controller. In the meantime, I occasionally mess around with a friend's Alesis Micron, while I start working towards the amazing Korg x50, or Korg x50-CF. Either way, June the Jelly will be there. I have my "public" debut or whatever on Tuesday playing worship, and I plan on having June with me.

So yeah, that's it for this intro post. That being said, excuse my lame name. Old habits die hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment